Protect Your Biggest Investment with Zieba Builder’s Home Maintenance Tips
Your home is your haven, providing safety and comfort for you and your family. Over the years you may decorate or remodel to make enhancements or updates to improve its functionality and beauty. To preserve the value of your home over time and keep it looking great and operating well, homeowners should perform specific indoor and outdoor home maintenance seasonally.
Take a weekend or two to complete our home maintenance tips.
- Clean or replace your air conditioning filters on a monthly basis or as recommended by the manufacturer of your unit.
- Test your home security alarm monthly and make sure all sensors are working.
- Check the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors twice a year. Replace your alarms and detectors every ten years.
- Sweep your chimney and fireplace annually.
- Seal unpainted concrete floors as needed.
- Re-seal grout on backsplashes and showers at least once a year, on floors every two to three years. An easy test is to place a few drops of water on dry grout, if the water soaks in, its time to re-grout.
- Caulk cracks found in windows, doors, around toilets, and in showers. Remember to remove old caulk before applying new.
- Clean faucet aerators every three to four months to remove mineral deposits.
- Wax non-polyurethane finished hardwood floors periodically.
- Clean your dryer vent twice a year.
- Schedule an HVAC inspection twice a year.
A close up of a rain gutter filled with fall leaves
- Inspect and clean your roof annually. Skylights should be inspected for cracks and proper sealing.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts twice a year. Trim bushes and trees away from gutters to reduce debris.
- Check all windows and doors for cracks or moisture infiltration twice a year. Repair by re-caulking. Major damage may require replacement.
- Clean your windows regularly.
- Power wash your home’s exterior twice a year.
- Walk the entire perimeter of your home seasonally and inspect your siding, brick, and foundation for holes, cracks, and other damage.
- Oil the moving parts of your garage door every three months.